NB Women GO members announce recipients of community grants
During the second year of granting out to local nonprofits, NB Women GO members increased their giving by 64 percent – awarding a total of $61,500 to seven nonprofits. More than 90 members of NB Women GO voted on the nonprofit grant awards on April 24 at McKenna Events Center.
Of the 26 nonprofit applicants, seven received grants, including:
- · Children’s Advocacy Center of Comal Co. ($9,000) Family Services – Kids
- · Circle Arts Theatre ($9,000) Arts and Culture
- · Comal County Senior Center AniMeals & More Pet Program ($9,000) Animal Welfare
- · Communities in Schools of South Texas ($9,000) Education
- · Headwaters at the Comal ($9,000) Preservation/Environmental
- · Lone Star Parkinson Society ($9,000) Family Services – Adults
- · SJRC Texas ($7,500) 2nd Chance Grant
- ·Prevention, detection, investigation, and treatment of child abuse in Comal County (Children’s Advocacy Center of Comal County);
- ·Bringing live theater to elementary school-age children in Comal County free of charge (Circle Arts Theatre);
- ·Providing pet food and veterinary care for the companion animals of eligible Comal County Senior Center Meals on Wheels clients (Comal County Senior Center AniMeals & More Pet Program);
- ·Providing in-school mental health support services for youth, helping to contribute to student success and ability to stay in school (Communities in Schools of South Texas);
- ·Providing local area school field trips and starting a Junior Master Naturalist Program at the Headwaters at the Comal – an environmental and living nature center located at the headwaters springs of the Comal River (Headwaters at the Comal);
- ·Providing home care living assistance service providers to Parkinson’s patients (Lone Star Parkinson Society);
- ·Providing funding for school activities such as field trips, hot lunches and graduation ceremonies for an on-site school for children who have been affected by abuse, abandonment or neglect (SJRC Texas).
- ·Any woman interested in helping to do good in Comal County can become a member of NB Women GO
- ·Membership costs $1,000 annually. Each membership gets one vote and may nominate a local nonprofit to receive a grant. A membership may be shared by up to four women.
As part of the grant voting event, members listened to 2-minute presentations about each of the nonprofits and then voted on the grant recipient in each category. Votes were so close that three of the categories included runoffs. Grants in the amount of $9,000 each were awarded in each of the six main categories of Family Services – Kids; Arts and Culture; Animal Welfare; Education; Preservation/Environmental; and Family Services – Adult.
A seventh category, the 2nd Chance Category, was new this year. Members voted on the second-place finishers in each of the six main categories, and awarded the 2nd Chance Grant of $7,500 to SJRC Texas.
“The NB Women GO Grant will help SJRC tremendously,” said Tara Roussett, CEO of SJRC Texas. “This group of powerful women has allowed us to provide positive memories for our survivors of child sex trafficking. By voting for SJRC, they have made a lifelong impact on our most vulnerable population of children by providing them educational opportunities that they otherwise wouldn’t have had. What a remarkable gift!”
The nonprofit grant recipients address a wide range of community needs – including:
“It was very hard to choose, because all the organizations were so deserving. The organizations that won were worthy, even if it wasn’t the charity for whom you voted. There was no ‘wrong’ vote,” said NB Women GO member Catherine Goodner. “Because the need is great in Comal County, we are motivated to grow NB Women GO so we can give more and touch more lives in our community.”
About NB Women GO:
NB Women GO, a women’s giving circle and endowment fund with New Braunfels Community Foundation, kicked off its membership drive in September of 2017 and now boasts more than 80 single and group memberships consisting of 134 women. The group pools its membership dues and awards grants on an annual basis to nonprofits in the New Braunfels/Comal County area.
Membership requirements include the following:
The next cycle of grant awards will take place in Spring 2020.
To learn more, visit www.nbacf.org or contact Brit W. King (830) 606-9536 or firstname.lastname@example.org..