Musical Bridges Around the World
To transform lives through multicultural performing and visual arts by shattering barriers, creating connectivity and inspiring hope for those with least access.
A world where fine arts are accessible to all, our common humanity is recognized, cultural diversity is celebrated and all are united in peace.
Excellence | Equity | Inspiration
Musical Bridges Around the World was founded in 1998 by Russian-born concert pianist Dr. Anya Grokhovski, along with a group of music lovers to promote cultural understanding through innovative multicultural performances. Musical Bridges reaches over 80,000 people in San Antonio each year free of charge through six core programs:
- Russell Hill Rogers Musical Evenings at San Fernando Cathedral: a free concert series held on select Sunday evenings in the heart of historic downtown.
- Kids to Concerts: an educational program that introduces 50,000+ San Antonio children annually to faraway cultures through music and dance while integrating Science Technology Engineering and Math (STEM) curricula into the incomparable experience of live performing arts.
- Musical Sprouts: an original educational pilot program in its third year that measures the impact of STEAM curricula taught through the medium of music and art in partnership with UT Health Science Center.
- Golden Age: an interactive community outreach program providing outstanding musical performances to seniors in assisted living and community centers.
- International Music Festival: annual multi-week and multi-venue performance series featuring world-class artists in thought-provoking pairings designed to challenge mass media stereotypes that are too often the only exposure people have to foreign lands.
- The Gurwitz International Piano Competition: In 2017, MBAW absorbed San Antonio’s IPC and is in preparation for the next competition in 2020. Competitions are held every four years and feature some of the most exhilarating young talent in the world.